Save Your Home From Winter disasters With These Pipe-Bursting Prevention Tips
It is no secret that winter can be a challenging time for homeowners. Between the frigid temperatures and hazardous conditions, it is important to take steps to protect your home from potential disasters. One of the most common problems during the winter is pipe bursting. This can lead to costly repairs and even displacement if water damage occurs. In this blog post, we will discuss some tips on how to prevent your pipes from bursting in cold weather!
- Keep your home warm - One of the best ways to prevent your pipes from freezing is to keep your home warm. If you are going to be away from home for an extended period of time, make sure to set your thermostat to at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help to ensure that your pipes do not freeze while you are away.
- Insulate your pipes - Another great way to prevent your pipes from freezing is to insulate them. You can purchase pre-made insulation sleeves at most hardware stores. Simply slip the sleeve over any exposed pipes in your home and secure it in place with tape. This will help to keep your pipes warm and prevent them from freezing.
- Allow faucets to drip - During extremely cold weather, it is a good idea to allow your faucets to drip slightly. This will help to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Disconnect hoses - Be sure to disconnect any hoses that are attached to your outdoor faucets. This will help to prevent your outdoor faucets from freezing and bursting.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is located - In the event that your pipes do freeze and burst, it is important to know where your main water shut-off valve is located. This will allow you to quickly shut off the water to your home and prevent further damage.
By following these simple tips, you can help to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting this winter. If you do experience a pipe burst, be sure to contact a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Newtown, Yardley, New Hope as soon as possible. We are always here to help!